Can we you hear the sound of people cheering, champagne popping and Auld Lang Syne (the NYE song) blaring in the midnight air? I just described what New Year’s Eve looks and sounds like for many of you. Can you believe we are less than a week away from 2017? This year has flown by!
As traditions go, the end of an old year and the start of a new one inspires people to set resolutions. So, in conjunction with the same old resolutions you make every year, like losing weight, eating healthier, saving money and praying more, let’s include a resolution about how we’re going to present our best selves in 2017. I came up with three style resolutions below and I invite you to adopt one or all for 2017! Let’s go!
- Only buy or wear what you absolutely LOVE. – Why is this important? Because, we spend a lot of money and closet real estate on items we only feel lukewarm about. Would you stay in a relationship with someone who you feel indifferent toward? Then, why would you want to buy or wear something in your closet that doesn’t make you feel fabulous? And I don’t mean that it made you feel fabulous three years ago. If it doesn’t make you feel like a goddess today then let it go. Clothes are an investment. We wear them everyday. Make sure every dollar you spend on clothes is toward an item that makes you excited to wear it. Do an inventory of your closet. It might take you a while to get to a place where you LOVE absolutely everything in your closet, so start with baby steps and eliminate the pieces that you can live without.
- Embrace a new color, print or pattern. – Notice I said “a” new color, print or pattern. I’m not asking you to adopt the whole rainbow! We are all creatures of habit, which is reflective in our closets. If we like the way we look in a particular color, then we’ll buy everything under the sun in that color. Let’s commit to trying out a new color that’s not currently in our closet (for me, it will probably be pink). For example, if you’re partial to only wearing stripes, why not give polka dots or floral print a try?What will introducing a new color do? Glad you asked! It will widen the buying field for you and you’ll have more options of things to wear.
- Take better care of what’s already in the closet. – How many of us are guilty of turning a blind eye towards blazers, sweaters, dresses, etc. that are dry clean only? How many of us hang our sweaters instead of folding them? How many of us just kick our shoes off and don’t place them back in their box? How many of us have a tangled mess of necklaces and earrings in our jewelry boxes on our dressers? How many of us throw the handbags that we once treasured on the floor in our closet? Did I just describe myself? I, for one am guilty for committing a lot of these atrocities (too dramatic?). The clothes, accessories and shoes in my closet are an investment and I must admit, I don’t always treat them that way. Sure, when I first get a new bag or pair of shoes, I’m extra careful to store them properly…but after six months, all of the tender, love and care is out the window. Let’s take better care of our investments all year round, that way they’ll last longer!
So as we bring in 2017, think about how you want to present yourself in 2017. It might start with one or all of the resolutions I shared above. Or you might have your own, which I would love to hear. Comment below and let me know if you are committing to these style resolutions or creating your own.
And have a few extra dollars to spend on gifts for the holiday season, I’m sharing my wish list below. We’re less than a week away from Christmas and I don’t want you to stress about what to get me, so I’m laying it all out for you. You’re welcome!
- Arimas Jewelry – I’m not sure how I stumbled upon this handmade jewelry line, but I’ve been obsessed for months. Every piece from the Sparkling Chocolate Africa Ring II to the Africa in Bloom Earrings are absolute perfection and I can’t wait to start building up my collection. I’m super inspired by the African themes that are reflected in a lot of the pieces and hope to wear them on my trip to the Motherland next year. I’m typically drawn toward big, bold statement pieces, but I really love the subtleness of this particular line. Check it out for yourself and let me know what you think! P.S. The Sparkling Chocolate Africa Ring is on back order, but don’t get discouraged (I’m talking to myself). There are still tons of other fabulous pieces that are in stock and waiting for you to purchase for me!
Arimas Tiny Statement Studs
Arimas Elephant Armlet
- Carmine Heel Slingback by Coach – I’ve had a pair of slingbacks on my “nice to have” list for a while now. I’ve just been holding out to find the right pair and I’m confident these are it! This slingback screams class and quality, which are two adjectives that come to mind when I think of Coach. Though it might be too cold to break these out just yet, spring is around the corner and I can’t wait to pair them with an off-the-shoulder top and skinny jeans. Also, good news to report… these slingbacks have been reduced significantly in price since I first spotted them, so I’m optimistic that they’ll magically appear under my tree. Don’t all jump at once now!
COACH Carmine Slingback – Saddle
COACH Carmine Slingback – Black
- Mae B. Stationery – Maybe it’s the old lady in me, but I have always collected different kinds of stationery. I am almost ashamed to admit how much money I’ve spent in Papyrus, Paper Source and Hallmark over the last several years. So, as you can imagine, when I found Mae B.’s online store I completely fell in love! From the personalized note cards to the thank you cards and the 2017 weekly calendar, I could totally add every item from the online store in my shopping cart. Since I go completely crazy for stationery, I couldn’t exactly wait for Christmas to unwrap these paper beauties, so my mom snagged a notebook and personalized note cards for my birthday. See below. I absolutely love them, but of course I want more!
Mae B. Notebook
Mae B. Personalized Note Cards
So there you have it. A few items that are on my Christmas wish list. I really think this list is obtainable for you, but you have to order now so that I’ll get them in time for Christmas. Got it? Okay! Happy shopping!
You might think from the title of this post that I’m going to rave about a new scarf I snagged during Black Friday (p.s. I almost never shop on Black Friday) or a beautiful lady handbag I was gifted on my birthday last week. Those are good guesses, but my favorite new accessory is (drum roll please)…my box braids!
I know you’re probably thinking, how can a hairstyle be an accessory? Well, I’ve learned that the right hairstyle can be the perfect complement to any outfit. Think about how a sophisticated updo can elevate the elegance level of a strapless gown or how a high ponytail can increase the sleek factor of a cropped jacket, skinny jeans and pumps. I’ve been experimenting with my new accessory for a little over a month now and before getting them, never really knew how much fun I would have coming up with styles to match my outfits.
From a top bun to a half up and half down style, my box braids definitely get me excited about getting up and getting dressed in the morning. Before getting the braids, I was feeling a little uninspired by the clothing and accessory options in my closet. As crazy as it might sound, my new hairstyle has inspired me to fall in love with my closet all over again.
Now, for a little backstory…I was EXTREMELY hesitant about getting box braids. Working in a corporate environment that lacks diversity really had me second guessing if getting this type of hairstyle would be a good move. I’m not the type of person that likes a lot of attention and I KNEW getting braids would cause comments, questions and stares (all things I wanted to avoid) from my colleagues. After weeks of contemplation, I FINALLY bit the bullet and decided to get my hair braided and I have not regretted it for a minute!
Since getting the braids, I’ve learned two things…
- The answer to an uninspired closet isn’t always a trip to the mall
- The (potential) reactions from others shouldn’t hold you back from trying a new style
So, if you’re stuck in a style rut or are on the fence about trying something new, don’t be afraid to jump over the fence and look for inspiration in unconventional forms.
Now, I’d love to learn about the new accessories you’re excited about. Leave a comment below and let me know!
Have a great week!