It’s something about the spring season that makes us want to clean, organize and purge the things in our lives. We accumulate so much stuff within a year and most times we don’t even use all of it. Though it seems easy to discard or donate the things we don’t wear, for many it’s quite a stressful ordeal.
“I mean, what if those Bongo jeans (remember those) come back in style?”
“Come on, I’ve been working out and eating right. I’ll be able to fit my high school homecoming dress really soon.”
“I know I already have four bridesmaids dresses, but I might be invited to a presidential ball. What will I wear if I get rid of one?”
I imagine that these are the conversations many of you have when attempting to clean out your closet.
Fact: Most people wear 20 percent of the clothes in their closet. That means 80 percent of your wardrobe is taking up (wasting) space. Here are a few tips to consider before and during your purge session:
- If you haven’t worn it in 12 months…PURGE IT
- If it has large stains or holes beyond repair…PURGE IT
- If you have a drawer full of random, over-sized t-shirts…PURGE THEM
- If you need to lose several pounds before you can get in it again…PURGE IT
- If you purchased it several months ago and it still hasn’t “grown” on you…PURGE IT
- If it doesn’t complement your current body shape (forget about how it looked when you first purchased it)…PURGE IT
- If for the past several months it’s been folded in a shopping bag and thrown in your backseat as a reminder to take it to the tailor…PURGE IT
- If you’re uncomfortable when you wear it (constantly tugging at it, pulling it up or down)…PURGE IT
- If you don’t love it and simply tolerate it…PURGE IT
- If it doesn’t make you feel good about yourself…PURGE IT
I think these tips are tough to hear, but are needed if you really want to de-clutter your closet. One additional rule that I try to follow is, whenever I bring something into my closet, I identify something to take out.
Hopefully, you’ll put these tips into practice and won’t say mean things about me under your breath as you’re condensing your closet.
9 thoughts on “Urge to Purge: Tough Love Tips to Help Condense Your Closet”
Yes Lord knows I need to purge somethings! I may cry while doing it but it’s important. Thanks for these tips!
You are so welcome Crystal!
Some tough love, but great advice. Thanks!
Thank you Ali!
So very helpful!
Great tips Shannon; sounds like our conversation from last Friday, lol.
Thanks, Yemisi! Our conversation definitely provided inspiration.
Pingback: My Golden Rule for Shopping | shannonbstyles